Portadown’s long trip to Castlederg on Saturday to take on Dergview proved fruitful as they returned with 3 points to consolidate their position at the top of the Bluefin Sport Championship.

With the game less than four minutes old Portadown looked to have a very strong shout for a penalty when captain Luke Wilson appeared to be clattered in the box by Dergview centre half Matthew Buchanan however much to the bemusement of the Portadown faithful referee Gareth Stewart wasn’t interested and signalled for a Portadown corner instead, from the resulting corner Adam Salley seen his header deflected onto the top of the bar and over before heading wide from another George Tipton delivery.

Dergview were to force Ports keeper Bobby Edwards into action soon after when former Portadown winger Andrew Sproule picked up the ball in the Portadown half before going on a marauding run and finding Simon McGlynn in the box whose shot from an acute angle on the right was parried wide by the American shot stopper at his near post.

Portadown were to take the lead in the 40th minute when a Tipton corner resulted in some pinball in the box before Conall McGrandles miss hit shot deflected off Ports Captain Luke Wilson wrong footing Dergview goalkeeper Alan Buchanan and finding the back of the net.

Portadown were to make it 2-0 just after half time and what a way to do it as Lee Bonis picked up a pass from Stephen Teggart before cutting in from the left and unleashing a curling shot from the edge of the box which found the top right hand corner as in from striker Bonis made it six goals in six games.

Dergview were to test Ports keeper Edwards again on 58 minutes when a floated miss hit cross by Philip Wallace went goal bound forcing the Ports keeper into a full stretch save to tip the ball over the bar, Dergview were to go close again on 73 minutes when Matthew Callaghan had a free header in the box but he got under the ball and sent his header well over the bar.

Ports almost extended their lead on 75 minutes when substitute Marty Bradley cut the ball back for Adam Salley on the edge of the box but Salleys shot was tipped over the bar by the Dergview goalkeeper, Ports were to have another great chance to put the game out of sight on 77 minutes but Stephen Teggarts shot from the edge of the box off a Salley cut back was weak and easily saved.

Dergview continued to press to find a way back into the game and seen Ports defender Finnegan block a goal bound effort from Paul Smith while Smith also forced Edwards into action with a half volley from the edge of the box while at the other end Ports substitute Marty Bradley seen his shot from the edge of the box rattle the side netting.

As the game got stretched Ports went close again when Adam Salley done well to win the ball off the defender on the Dergview by line before his shot across goal was tipped round the post by Buchanan in the Dergview goal.

Dergview were to pull a goal back on 87 minutes when striker Smith picked up the ball 25 yards out before unleashing a superb shot which flew past the diving Edwards and found the top right hand corner via the post, a great goal from the Dergview striker.

Dergview were to have the final chance of the game when Dale Maxwell sent a hooked looping shot from the edge of the box wide of the Ports left hand post to the relief of the Portadown support as the Ports secured another 3 points to make it six League wins in a row.

Dergview: A. Buchanan, McGeehan, Falconer, Maxwell, M. Buchanan, Callaghan, McConnell, A. Buchanan, McGlynn, Smith, A. Sproule. Subs: McNulty, Wallace, Young, Doherty, I. Sproule

Portadown: Edwards, Hall, Crane, Finnegan, Salley, McGrandles, Tipton, Wilson, McNally, Teggart, Bonis. Subs: McCallum, Bradley, Glackin, Carmichael, Ferris.

Referee: Gareth Stewart


#WeArePortsTV Highlights


Matthew Tipton’s #WeArePortsTV post match interview