Portadown’s eight game unbeaten Championship run came to a end on Saturday with a 2-1 defeat to H&W Welders at Tillysburn Park.

Ports boss made two changes to the eleven that drew 0-0 with Newry City AFC the previous Friday night with Stephen Teggart and Aaron Duke coming in for Luke Wilson and Callum Ferris.

Portadown got off to the perfect start when captain for the day Paddy McNally got on the end of a long Aaron Duke throw into the box to head into the roof of the net to give Portadown the lead after only two minutes.

Ports were to go close to extending their lead soon after when Marty Bradley picked up the ball in his own half before going on a marauding run beating several Welders players in the process before finding George Tipton who’s shot from distance went just over the bar.

Portadown again looked threatening when a quick free kick into the box from Conall McGrandles found Lee Bonis whose initial shot was blocked by a Welders defender with his follow up being saved by the outstretched foot of the keeper before being cleared to safety.

H&W Welders were to grab an equaliser after 40 minutes when a glancing header from Scott Davidson off a Jonathan Smith cross into the box found the bottom left hand corner.

Portadown almost retook the lead deep into injury time in the first half when Welders defender Brandon Nelson got too much on his header back to his keeper forcing Ryan Miskelly in the Welders goal to make a diving save to parry the ball away to which Ports striker Duke was first to react to however his shot across goal just evaded Tipton at the back post, moments later Portadown again went close when the Welders keeper denied Marty Bradley with an outstretched boot to turn the ball away before George Tiptons follow up shot was blocked by the diving head of a Welders defender.


Portadown had the first chance of the second half after 55 minutes when another save by the boot of Miskelly in the Welders goal denied Marty Bradley after he made space in the box following a smart turn as his running battle with the feet of Miskelly continued. Moments later Bradley was again working his trickery in the box before finding Tipton who blazed over from the edge of the area.

H&W Welders were to take the lead on 71 minutes when Ports GK Edwards parried away a long distance effort from Dylan Davidson only for the onrushing Matthew Ferguson to pounce on the loose ball to fire home from close range.

Ports pressed for an equaliser but to no avail with an Aaron Duke header straight at the goalkeeper being the closest Portadown came.

Next up for Portadown is Dergview this Saturday at Shamrock Park, kick of 3pm.

H&W Welders: Miskelly, Dornan, Curran, Nixon, McMurray, Harrison, D. Davidson, S. Davidson, Gwiazda, Smith, Ferguson Subs McPhee (not used), Nelson (replaced Curran 8), Graham (replaced Smith 83), Grierson (not used), Arthurs (replaced Ferguson 88)

Portadown: Edwards, Hall, Finnegan, Bradley, McKenna, Duke, McGrandles, Tipton, McNally, Teggart, Bonis Subs Salley (not used), Millar (replaced Teggart 77), Wilson (replaced Bradley 62), Carmichael (replaced Tipton 69), Ferris (not used)

Referee: Mark Dillon