Today’s game against Ballymena United in the end finished goalless in what was quite evenly matched affair that Ports boss Matthew Tipton will undoubtedly be happy with.

Ports striker Lee Bonis had an opportunity early on in the opening ten minutes heading a Greg Hall cross into the hands of Ballymena keeper Jordan Williamson.

On the 28th minute Ballymena were awarded a free kick from around 20 yards following a challenge from Ports defender Paddy McNally who was subsequently holding his knee in pain and had to be stretchered off.

After a lengthy delay McCartans free kick
was blocked by the wall, with the resulting shot from Trai Hume going wide.

On the edge of half time Chris Lavery had a great chance to open the scoring putting a left footed shot past the post after breaking through the visiting defence.

In the second half Ports midfielder Stephen Teggart did well to escape his marker before being brought down by Johnny Addis with the resulting free kick going over the bar.

As the second half progressed the visitors began pile on the pressure, midfielder Joshua Kelly side footed a powerful shot from around 30 yards just over the post.

Ben Pierce did brilliantly to palm away a shot from danger man Shay McCartan from around 25 yards out.

Pierce was called upon soon after, denying a dangerous Ross Redman effort at the left side of the post.

In stoppage time Kofi Balmer had the ball in the net heading in from a long range Redman cross however it was ruled out for offside leading up to the goal.

Portadowns next game is this Tuesday 8th December vs Dungannon Swifts at Stangmore Park, with a 7:45pm KO. Please note this game will be behind closed doors.

(Today’s game took place behind closed doors)
Half time score
Portadown 0-0 Ballymena United

Full time score
Portadown 0-0 Ballymena United

PSS Man of the Match – Kevin Healy
Sponsor – Dennis Davison Christmas Trees

Match Officials– Referee – Lee Tavinder / Assistant 1 – Gareth Eakin  / Assistant 2 – George Argyropoulos / 4th official – Keith Kennedy


Portadown: Pierce (GK), Healy, Hall, Finnegan, McNally (replaced by McCallum 34’), McKeown (replaced by Kerr 67’), Teggart, Wilson , Lavery , Bonis , Salley

Substitutes: Pengelly (GK) (unused), McCallum, Tipton (unused), McGrandles (unused) , Conaty (unused), Croskery (unused) , Kerr

Ballymena United: Williamson (GK), Hume, Balmer, C.Kelly, Addis , Redman , J.Kelly, Millar, McElroy, McCartan (replaced by Winchester 81’), McCready (replaced by Waide 70’)

Substitutes: Glendinning (GK) (unused), A.Kane (unused),Harpur (unused),Winchester, Waide, Ervin (unused), O.McKeown (unused)