Goals from Lee Bonis, a penalty from Sam Warde, Ben Guy and Chris Lavery sealed a dominant 4-1 win against rivals Glenavon at Shamrock Park today.

Portadown had a good opportunity on 7 minutes when Bonis found space down the left connecting a pass to skipper Luke Wilson whose subsequent effort was saved by Hyland in the visitors goal.

A minute later Indecision in Glenavon box following a blocked McCallum effort saw no one pick up the loose ball immediately before Glenavon keeper Hyland gathered.

On 15 minutes former Ports midfielder Conor McColskey found space on the right side, hitting a first time effort which was parried and gathered at the second attempt by Carney.

Lee Bonis made it 1-0 on 27 minutes heading past Craig Hyland from a Sam Warde corner for his 6th goal of the season.

Glenavon almost were on level terms when forward Fitzpatricks pass found McCloskey in a dangerous position, with the winger putting his effort just past the post.

Ian McNabb then pointed to the spot on 38 minutes to give the Ports their first penalty of the season when a goal bound Stephen Murray shot was blocked by Glenavon defender Lee McNulty using his hands. McNabb also showed the former Dergview man a red card. Midfielder Sam Warde slotted home a confident penalty to make it 2-0.

At the other end former Portadown man Robert Garrett had a powerful effort from range deflected off the head of Adam McCallum for a corner which didn’t threaten the Portadown defence.

Following the red card Glenavon made a change to their shape bringing off striker Danny Purkis and on centre half Andrew Doyle in order to plug the hole left by McNultys dismissal.

Half time score:
Portadown 2 (Bonis 27′, Warde 38′ (P) )
Glenavon 0 (McNulty sent off)

Portadown continued their threat in the second half, having several really dangerous opportunities that they couldn’t convert. Early on a dangerous Bonis header from a Hall cross went wide of the post. It was one of the countless opportunities that just needed someone on the end of the ball to score.

Soon after the Ports had another huge opportunity when Stephen Murray guided a flick on to Bonis who sent his effort wide of the post. A visibly frustrated Ben Tilney on the right of Lee was perhaps in a better position to test Hyland in the Glenavon goal.

The Ports were so close to making it 3-0, when Lee Bonis who was through on goal attempted to round keeper but his shot was cleared for corner by the three Glenavon defenders on the goal line.

From the resulting corner Ben Tilneys powerful effort from the edge of the box was parried by Hyland with appeals for a second penalty after Lee Bonis went over in the box.

The Ports were playing with a great degree of confidence at this point, great one touch football found Tilney through on goal who just couldn’t get enough control on it to test the keeper.

Soon after Tilney threatened again, a poor goal kick brought the Englishman through on goal and his touch over the keeper beat the former Crusaders man Hyland but also just beat the post.

The Ports had their third when marksman Bonis broke through on goal following great interplay from Scannell and Murray, before Lee squared the ball to Ben Guy who put the ball into an empty net to make it 3-0.

At the other end a half way line free kick found Fitzpatrick who sent his effort over the Chalet stand and really summed up the visitors day.

The visitors got a goal back on 73 minutes, when Chris Lavery got the ball caught up in his feet in the box and was intercepted by Sean Ward who fired an effort into the top right of the net for his first goal of the season.

On 80 minutes Chris Lavery made up for his earlier error when he collected the ball on the right side from Stephen Murray, before firing the ball into the bottom right of the net beyond the reach of Hyland to make it 4-1.

Minutes after Laverys goal it was almost 4-2, Glenavon substitute McCaffery had his shot from close range parried by Carney and Hall cleared the follow up from Conor McCloskey off the line.

Portadown were so close to making it 5-1, when Craig Hyland made an excellent save to deny substitute Stephen Teggarts header and the visiting defence neutralised the attempt of Lee Bonis to put the rebound into the net.

Soon after Chris Lavery almost had his second goal, driving an effort off the top of the post and off the goal line to be cleared.

In the closing minutes Stephen Murray broke through down the left and had his shot saved by Hyland from a tight angle to prevent that allusive fifth goal.

Following three minutes of stoppage time the referee blew for the full time whistle for a well deserved three points for Portadown.

Full time:Portadown 4 (Bonis 27′, Warde 38′ (pen), Guy 60′, Lavery 80′)
Glenavon 1 (McNulty sent off 38’, Ward 73′)
(Match took place behind closed doors)

We go again on Tuesday night against Glenavon at Shamrock Park. This time with a 7:30pm KO and the game will be streamed live on BBC Sport NI.

Match Officials – Referee – Ian McNabb / Assistant 1 – Paul Robinson  / Assistant 2 – John Doherty / 4th official – Mark Dillon

Portadown XI (Managed by Matthew Tipton): Carney (GK), G Hall, McCallum, Finnegan, Bonis, Murray (replaced by Conaty 89’), Wilson (C), Guy (booked 56’) (replaced by Teggart 82’), Warde, Scannell (replaced Lavery 69’), Tilney

Portadown Substitutes: Buchanan (GK) (unused), McKeown (unused), Lavery, Tipton (unused), Salley (unused), Teggart, Conaty

Glenavon XI (managed by Gary Hamilton) Hyland (GK), Coates, Purkis (replaced by A Doyle 43’), Campbell (replaced by O’Mahony 68’), A Hall (booked 56’), O’Connor (C), Fitzpatrick (replaced by McCaffery 76’), McCloskey, Garrett, Ward, McNulty (sent off 38’)

Glenavon Substitutes: A Doyle, Byrne (unused), Snoddy (unused), Harmon (unused), O’Mahony, J Doyle (unused), McCaffery

Written by Alex Morrison.