7 days after their last fixture, Portadown were back in action against Dungannon Swift’s this afternoon at Stangmore Park which resulted in our four win of the season thanks to a goal from Lee Bonis in the first half.

The hosts saw 5 changes from their 2-0 defeat to Linfield on Tuesday night, with Alan Teggart, Ryan Mayse, Shane McGinty, Ethan McGee and Rory Patterson coming in for Dougie Wilson, Caolan McAleer and Michael Carvill who are out of the matchday lineup with Rhyss Campbell and Adam Glenny both dropping to the bench.

Portadowns starting eleven also saw five changes from last Saturdays 2-1 defeat to Ballymena United. Paul Finnegan, George Tipton, Barney McKeown, Stephen Murray, Ben Guy come in for Kevin Healy, Sam Warde and Oisin Conaty who drop to the bench, with Stephen Teggart and Luke Wilson being out of today’s 18 man squad.

The first half saw the hosts have the lions share of possession, and they had a good opportunity when an underpowered Ben Tilney header back to the keeper was almost intercepted by the onrushing Daniel Hughes, however Carney in the Portadown goal gathered to neutralise any danger.

Portadown went close on 12 minutes through a 25 yard drive from full back Nathan Kerr which was tipped past the post by Roy Carroll.

At the other end on 14 minutes Shane McGinty connected with Ryan Mayse whose effort was saved by Jacob Carney.

Minutes after Coyle broke on the counter for the Swifts connecting with Daniel Hughes to his right whose effort was tame and easily gathered by the keeper.

Moments later a speedy run from Ben Guy who received the ball in midfield failed to trouble Roy Carroll in the Dungannon goal.

The home side had a massive opportunity to take the lead on 21 minutes, with efforts from both Mayse and Patton forcing saves from Carney.

Portadown had a good opportunity themselves when impressive interplay saw Stephen Murray break down the right side sending a dangerous ball across the face of goal with Lee Bonis unable to connect with the ball to direct it towards goal.

Somewhat against the run of play Portadown would go in front on the brink of half time, a Barney McKeown shot from the edge of the box which looked to be going wide landed at the feet of marksman Lee Bonis who put the ball past the keeper for his seventh goal of the campaign.

Half time score:
Dungannon Swifts 0
Portadown 1 (Bonis 45′)

Early on the hosts had a good opportunity when Rory Patterson did well to draw a foul from Paul Finnegan to win a free kick in an extremely dangerous area. The former Linfield man Pattersons low free kick that followed was cleared from danger by the Portadown defence.

The home side had a glorious chance to score an equaliser for the Swifts on 54 minutes when the ball landed for former Cliftonville man Hughes who was one on one with Carney, however his effort lacked enough power to test the keeper.

Minutes later Roy Carroll had to be alert to save an edge of the box effort from Stephen Murray with his legs.

As Portadown pressed to make it 2-0, Stephen Murray was inches away from connecting with a looping Chris Lavery cross on 61 minutes.

Murray went close again on 72 minutes with a turn and shot venturing just past the keepers left post.

The home side really pushed for an equaliser in the closing minutes having seen so much of the ball throughout the game, and on 85 minutes a James Convie free kick from a tight angle came off the post.

Roy Carroll got the nod from manager Dean Shiels to go forward for a free kick in the dying minutes, it was however one that failed to beat the first man, with Portadown at the other end failing to take advantage and double their lead.

Referee Jamie Robinson blew the full time whistle to give three points to the men in red.

Our next game is this Tuesday 23rd March away to Carrick Rangers, with a 7:45pm kick off.

Full time:
Dungannon Swifts 0
Portadown 1 (Bonis 45′)
(Match took place behind closed doors)

Match Officials – Referee – Jamie Robinson / Assistant 1 – Andrew Nethery  / Assistant 2 – John Doherty / 4th official – Niall Gallagher

Dungannon Swifts XI (managed by Dean Shiels): 33. Carroll (GK), 2. Coyle (booked 81’), 3. Teggart, 6. Byers (C) (booked 63’), 9. Hughes, 14. Patton (replaced by Forde 68’), 19. Mayse (replaced by Gallagher 80’), 21. McGinty, 27. McGee , 32. M Smyth , 35. Patterson (replaced by Convie 60’)

Dungannon Swifts substitutes: 1. Johnston (GK) (unused), 11. Campbell (unused), 12. Forde, 15. Gallagher, 25. Convie, 26. Glenny (unused), 30. O Smyth (unused)

Portadown XI (managed by Matthew Tipton): 52. Carney (GK), 4. McCallum, 5. Finnegan, 6. McKeown, 7. Lavery (replaced by Conaty 89’), 8. Tipton, 10. Bonis (C) (scorer 45’), 11. Murray, 19. Guy (replaced by Scannell 89’), 22. Kerr, 44. Tilney

Portadown substitutes: 33. Buchanan (GK) (unused), 2. Hall (unused), 17. Croskery (unused), 21. Conaty, 23. Warde (unused), 24. Healy (unused), 25. Scannell

Written by Alex Morrison.