A long range goal from Stephen Teggart and late goal from Lee Bonis sealed a fantastic 2-1 win over Larne for Portadown at Shamrock Park on Tuesday night.

Portadown made seven changes to the team that lost to Cliftonville at the weekend with manager Matthew Tipton citing his wish in our “Matchday Live” show to give several players a break, with Eamon Scannell, Sam Warde, Stephen Teggart, Ben Guy, Ruairi Croskery, Stephen Murray and Chris Lavery coming in for Greg Hall, Adam Salley, Lee Bonis, Oisin Conaty, George Tipton, Barney McKeown and Ben Tilney.

The visitors Larne named an unchanged lineup from their 5-0 win over Warrenpoint Town.

On 6 minutes Larne had a good opportunity when a Marty Donnelly free kick found the head of defender Dean Jarvis, who from close range sent his header well over the bar.

Larne then had an opportunity when Andrew Mitchell picked up a misplaced pass from Paul Finnegan before having his shot from range blocked by Adam McCallum. From the resulting corner a header from Larne captain Jeff Hughes was saved by Jacob Carney.

On 28 minutes Portadown would take the lead when Murray found Stephen Teggart, who from 25 yards rifled a shot into the top corner beyond the reach of Connor Devlin.

On 33 minutes Portadown had a huge opportunity to go two in front when an on rushing Connor Devlin, who was about 35 yards from goal had fallen over with Ben Guys effort at the unguarded net going wide of the post. Devlin was then substituted at half time after appearing to pick up an injury in this passage of play.

On 39 minutes Marty Donnelly found space in the box following a free kick
however his shot failed to trouble Jacob Carney.

On 40 minutes a deep ball from Mitchell found the feet of Hale, with Ports keeper Jacob Carney making a magnificent save at full stretch to tip the shot onto the post.

On the brink of half time the referee awarded a penalty to Larne, after adjudging that Eamon Scannell brought down Tomas Cosgrove in the box, from the replays the decision looked a harsh one with minimal to no contact between the players. Andrew Mitchell stepped up to take the penalty, Mitchell, who scored from the spot in Larnes last game against Warrenpoint Town, had this penalty saved by Jacob Carney who dived to his right to deny the former Linfield man Mitchell.

Half time score
Portadown 1 (Teggart 28’)
Larne 0

On 50 minutes Larne had an opportunity when a misplaced back pass from Finnegan went to Ronan Hale, with Jacob Carney saving the strikers effort from close range. Luke Wade-Slaters curling follow up effort was then cleared off the line by Adam McCallum.

On 57 minutes Portadown had a free kick from an inviting position taken by Sam Warde, however his attempt was blocked by the Larne wall.

On 61 minutes Hale received the ball on the edge of the box before hitting a hard effort which forced a save from Jacob Carney who dived to his right to deny the Larne number 9.

From the resulting corner the visitors would be level, when defender Josh Robinson tapped home unmarked. Portadown players had appealed for a foul on Adam McCallum in the process however the referee wasn’t interested in any such appeals.

On 72 minutes a block from Adam McCallum denied Larne substitute Mark Randall’s half volley from close range.

As Larne pushed for the goal to take them in front John Herrons header from a corner cannoned off the crossbar on 77 minutes.

On 84 minutes a ball into the box found McDaid whose turn and shot was gathered comfortably by Carney.

With around 90 seconds left of the three minutes of stoppage time, after a good run down the right by substitute Lee Bonis, he picked up possession following a heavy touch by Mark Randall and stuck the ball in the bottom corner to give the three points to Portadown making some very happy supporters on Tuesday evening.

Our next game is this Saturday 24th April against Warrenpoint Town at Shamrock Park. The game will be live-streamed on https://www.247.tv/gaa/niprem

Full time score:
Portadown 2 (Teggart 28’, Bonis 90+1’)
Larne 1 (Robinson 61’)
(Game took place behind closed doors)

PSS Man of the Match: Jacob Carney
(Chosen by Philip Major on behalf of sponsor Andy Carney)

Portadown XI (managed by Matthew Tipton): 52.Carney (GK), 4.McCallum, 5.Finnegan (C), 7.Lavery, 11.Murray (replaced by Salley 87’), 17.Croskery (replaced by Bonis 76’), 19.Guy (replaced by Hall 90+3’), 20.Teggart (scorer 28’), 22.Kerr, 23.Warde, 25.Scannell

Portadown substitutes: 33.Buchanan (GK) (unused), 2.Hall, 9.Salley, 10.Bonis (scorer 90+1’), 27.Jordan (unused), 29.Murphy (unused), 31.Baird (unused)

Larne XI (managed by Tiernan Lynch): 1. Devlin (GK) (replaced by C Mitchell 45’), 5.Robinson (scorer 61’), 6.Herron, 7.Sule, 9.Hale, 11.Donnelly, 17.A Mitchell (replaced by Randall 59’), 22.Wade-Slater (replaced by McDaid 64’), 23.Cosgrove, 24.Hughes (C), 26.Jarvis

Larne substitutes: 21.Mitchell (GK), 8.Randall, 10.McDaid, 14.Scott (unused), 19.McKendry (unused), 20.Mottley-Henry (unused), 25.D’Sena (unused)

Written by Alex Morrison.