Portadown secured three points on Saturday afternoon in a 2-1 win over Carrick Rangers at Shamrock Park which moves the Ports back into 9th place in the Danske Bank Premiership.

Going into todays game Portadown made 2 changes from the defeat to Glenavon on Tuesday 4th May, with Stephen Teggart and Sam Warde replacing Eamon Scannell and Ben Guy in the match day line up.

The visitors however named an unchanged line up from their midweek defeat to Larne in the Irish Cup.

On three minutes Portadown had an opportunity when Ben Tilney found space on the left side before finding Adam Salley with a cross who sent his effort over the bar.

On 8 minutes the visitors had a good opportunity when Jacob Carney was on hand to tip Michael Smiths close range shot onto the post.

On 21 minutes Lloyd Anderson had a shot just inside the box which was blocked by Paul Finnegan allowing for an easy pick up for Jacob Carney.

On 27 minutes Reece Glendinning had an opportunity for the visitors when he sent an effort from long range narrowly over the bar.

As the visitors pushed for the opening goal they went close on 34 minutes when an Adam McCallum headed clearance found Steven Gordon, who from close range couldn’t direct a header goalwards.

On 36 minutes Portadown would have the lead when a ball over the top found  Stephen Teggart on the right side whose cross was headed past the keeper by Lee Bonis for goal number 14 for the striker this season.


Half time score:

Portadown 1 (Bonis 36’)

Carrick Rangers 0


Into the second half Portadown had a good opportunity when a Lee Bonis shot from close range was blocked by Steven Gordon on 49 minutes and put out for a corner.

On 53 minutes Sam Warde picked up the ball in midfield before having a shot from range palmed away by Aaron Hogg in the Carrick goal.

The visitors had a good chance to get the equaliser when on 60 minutes Michael Smith got himself into a great position after latching onto the end of an attempted Portadown clearance before sending his shot wide of the goal.

On 67 minutes Ports striker Adam Salley sent a pinpoint cross to Ben Tilney at the back post who volleyed over the bar.

On 77 minutes a curling free kick from Ben Tilney on the right side of the box was gathered by Aaron Hogg.

Portadown went close to doubling their lead on 79 minutes when Ben Tilney found substitute Oisin Conaty with a deft back heel to bring the teenager through on goal however Aaron Hogg was on hand to keep the score at 1-0.

On 82 minutes following a good link up between Salley and Kerr, a Kerr cross was headed past the post by Lee Bonis.

A minute later Greg Hall connected a cross with Lee Bonis whose shot was pushed away by Aaron Hogg.

On the 89th minute Portadown were awarded a penalty when Carrick keeper Hogg brought down Lee Bonis who had broken through one on one with the keeper. Adam Salley stuck the ball past the keeper to make it 2-0 in the dying minutes.

Soon after the visitors nearly had a goal back when Reece Neale found room to run down the left side of the pitch before finding Corey McMullan whose shot was cleared off the line by Adam McCallum. Soon after, McMullan would have his goal when Reece Glendinnings close range header deflected into the path of the substitute who fired into the back of the net from close range.

The referee would then blow for full time giving Portadown the three points. We have a 10 day wait until our next fixture vs Dungannon Swifts at Shamrock Park on Tuesday 25th May, with a 7:45pm KO. A limited number of supporters may attend with the game also being streamed LIVE on https://www.247.tv/niprem


Full time score:

Portadown 2 (Bonis 36, Salley 90 P)

Carrick Rangers 1 (McMullan 90+3’)

(Game took place behind closed doors)


Match Officials

Referee – Ben McMaster

Assistant 1 – Gavin Hegarty

Assistant 2 – George Argyropoulos

4th official – Lee Tavinder


PSS Man of the Match: Stephen Teggart

(Chosen by sponsor Portadown Driving School (Richie Beattie) )


Portadown XI (managed by Matthew Tipton): 52.Carney (GK), 2.Hall, 4.McCallum, 5.Finnegan, 8.Tipton, 9.Salley (scorer 90”), 10.Bonis (C) (scorer 37’) (booked 64’), 20.Teggart (replaced by Conaty 66’), 22.Kerr, 23.Warde, 44.Tilney

Portadown substitutes: 33.Buchanan (GK) (unused), 7.Lavery (unused), 11.Murray (unused), 17.Croskery (unused), 19.Guy (unused), 21.Conaty, 27.Jordan (unused)


Carrick Rangers XI (managed by Niall Currie): 18.Hogg (GK) (booked 89’), 2.Forsythe, 3.Neale, 6.Loughran, 7.Chapman, 16.Smith, 17.Gordon, 20.Cherry (replaced by Kalla 72’), 23.Glendinning, 24.Gibson (replaced by Jenkins 65’), 42.Anderson (replaced by McMullan 59’, scorer 90+3’)

Carrick Rangers substitutes: 28.Connor Friel (GK) (unused), 5.Rodgers (unused), 26.Millar (unused), 37.Kalla, 43.Jenkins, 44.McMullan, 55.Ramsey (unused)


Written by Alex Morrison