A 50th minute penalty from Carrick Rangers captain Mark Surgenor saw Portadown defeated by one goal to nil at Taylor’s Avenue on Saturday afternoon in the Danske Bank Premiership.

Going into the game, Carrick Rangers made two changes to their starting line up that took on Dergview in the League Cup on the 14th September, with Ewan Kelly and Jordan Gibson replacing David Cushley and Emmett McGuckin. Kurtis Forsythe would replace Gerard Kelly who injured himself in the warmup.

The Ports made two changes from Tuesdays midweek win over Newington in the League Cup, with Ruairi Croskery and Nathan Kerr being replaced by Sammie McLeod and Greg Hall respectively.

On 6 minutes, Portadown had an opportunity when Sammie McLeod had an acrobatic shot in the box saved by Matthew Skeet in the Carrick gaol.

On 8 minutes, Carrick Rangers Kyle Cherry had a shot from range saved by Jethren Barr.

On 10 minutes,  Portadown went close to opening the scoring when midfielder Stephen Teggart had a volley come off the post amidst the “Oooos” from the travelling Ports supporters.

On 20 minutes, Portadown had a penalty appeal waved away when Oisin Conaty was brought down in the box from close range. Nothing was given by the officials.

Soon after, the Ports went inches from the getting the opening goal when Oisin Conaty found himself through on goal before laying the ball off for Lee Bonis whose effort hit the post. Sammie McLeod would send a placed header over the bar not long after.

On 23 minutes, Stewart Nixon would have the ball in the net for Carrick however the goal would not count as it was ruled to be offside.

On 40 minutes, Ewan Kelly found a pocket of space to have a shot from range easily gathered by Jethren Barr.


Half time score:

Carrick Rangers 0

Portadown 0


On the 51st minute Carrick Rangers would take the lead when they were awarded a penalty from referee Steven Gregg after Jordan Gibson was brought down inside the box by Ports keeper Jethren Barr who received a yellow card for the offence. Carrick captain Mark Surgenor put away the penalty to give the home side a 1-0 lead.

It was nearly 2-0 soon after when a good ball from Jordan Gibson picked out former Ports loanee Ben Tilney in a good position however his shot couldn’t trouble Jethren Barr.

As the game began to draw to close Portadown had a good opportunity when a Sammie McLeod volley from a Michael Ruddy cross was saved by Carrick keeper Matthew Skeet.

In stoppage time Ports striker Lee Bonis would send a header just over the bar from a Sam Warde corner.


Full time score:

Carrick Rangers 1 (Surgenor 51’)

Portadown 0


We are back in action next Saturday 25th September when we are at home to Dungannon Swifts in the Danske Bank Premiership. Kick off will be at 3pm.


Match Officials

Referee – Steven Gregg

Assistant 1 – Ryan Kelsey

Assistant 2 – Gavin Hegarty

4th official – Glenn Buchanan


Carrick Rangers XI (managed by Stuart King): 1.Skeet (GK), 4.Surgenor (C) (scorer 51’), 5.Ervin, 10.G Kelly (replaced by Forsythe before game), 12.E Kelly (replaced by Millar 89’), 20.Cherry (replaced by Kalla 90+3’), 22.Nixon (replaced by Mullholland 90+1’), 23.Glendinning, 24.Gibson, 39.Tilney, 42.Anderson

Carrick Rangers substitutes: 38.Shields (GK) (unused), 14.Kalla, 16.Mullholland, 19.McGimpsey (unused), 26.Millar, 29.Buchanan-Rolleston (unused).


Portadown XI (managed by Matthew Tipton): 19.Barr (GK) (booked 50’), 2.Hall (booked 28’), 3.Ruddy (booked 70’), 4.McCallum (replaced by Jackson 46’), 5.Finnegan, 8.Tipton (replaced by Salley 59’),10.Bonis (C), 14.Conaty (replaced by Anderson 73’), 20.Teggart (booked 45+1’), 22.McLeod (replaced by Glenfield 85’), 23.Warde

Portadown substitutes: 1.Doherty (GK) (unused), 9.Salley, 11.Anderson, 12.Jackson, 15.Kerr (unused), 24.Glenfield, 26.Murphy


Written by Alex Morrison.