10 man Portadown came from behind twice to take a 2-2 draw with Glentoran at The Oval on Saturday afternoon courtesy of goals from Michael Ruddy and Lee Bonis.

Portadown made two changes from last Saturdays defeat to Ballymena United in the Danske Bank Premiership, with Adam Salley and Stephen Teggart replacing Oisin Conaty and Nathan Kerr. Salley was the only player to start this afternoon that started Tuesday nights Mid Ulster Cup defeat to Warrenpoint Town.

Glentoran made 2 changes from their 2-2 draw with Coleraine last weekend, with Ross Glendinning and Ruairi Donnelly replacing Aaron McCarey and Robbie McDaid.

On 7 minutes, Ports striker Adam Salley had a shot from range that skimmed the post.

On 12 minutes Glentoran would have the lead, after Ciaran O’Connors pass connected with Conor McMenamin, whose shot from the left side of the box found the bottom corner to make it 1-0 to the home side.

Two minutes later, the home side very nearly doubled their lead when Hrvoje Plum released Jay Donnelly through on goal with the former Cliftonville mans shot just wide of the post.

On 27 minutes, Glens defender Patrick McClean headed wide from a Hrvoje Plum corner.

On 35 minutes,Ports striker Lee Bonis had his shot in the box saved by Ross Glendinning after a great run and cross by Stephen Teggart.

On 41 minutes, Portadown would be on level terms when Stephen Teggarts corner found the head of Michael Ruddy to score his first goal for the club since joining from Crusaders.


Half time score:

Glentoran 1 (McMenamin 12’)

Portadown 1 (Ruddy 41’)


Portadown had a great opportunity on 54 minutes when Chris Lavery found himself through on goal, he however sent his effort just over the bar.

On 60 minutes Portadown went close again, when Sammie McLeod had a shot from outside the box hit the post in what was a great opportunity for the men in red to take the lead.

On 68 minutes, Portadown would be reduced to ten men for an Adam McCallum handball from close range and a Glentoran penalty was awarded. Jay Donnelly stepped up to give the home side the lead with 20 minutes to go from the spot.

On 77 minutes, the home side had a good opportunity when Seanan Clucas picked out Conor McMenamin with a pass however his shot failed to trouble Jethren Barr.

On 80 minutes Plum for the home side would have a shot from range easily gathered by Jethren Barr.

On 81 minutes the ten men of Portadown would level. Jethren Barrs free kick from the half way line found of the head of Lee Bonis to score his third goal of the season and earn a deserved point for the men in red.


Full time score:

Glentoran 2 (McMenamin 12’, J Donnelly 69’ (P) )

Portadown 2 (Ruddy 41’, Bonis 81’)

(McCallum s/o 68’)


We are back in action on Tuesday night at home to Ballinamallard United in the League Cup. Kick off is at 7:45pm.


Match officials:

Referee – Lee Tavinder

Assistant 1 – Stephen Bell

Assistant 2 – John Doherty

4th official – Raymond Crangle


Glentoran XI: (managed by Mick McDermott): 33.Glendinning (GK), 4.McCullough, 5.Bigirimana (replaced by Cushnie 86’), 6.Burns, 8.Marshall, 9.J Donnelly (scorer 69’), 10.R Donnelly (replaced by McDaid 70’), 15.McClean, 19.O’Connor (replaced by Clucas 21’), 24.McMenamin (scorer 12’), 27.Plum

Glentoran substitutes: 1.Morris (GK) (unused), 2.Garrett (unused),11.McDaid, 12.Mitchell (unused), 16.Clucas, 20.Smith (unused), 26.Cushnie


Portadown XI: (managed by Matthew Tipton): 19.Barr (GK), 2.Hall, 3.Ruddy (scorer 41’), 4.McCallum (s/o 68’), 5.Finnegan, 6.McKeown (booked 50’) (replaced by Kerr 71’), 7.Lavery, 9.Salley, 10.Bonis (C) (scorer 81’), 20.Teggart, 22.McLeod

Portadown substitutes: 1.Doherty (GK) (unused), 8.Tipton (unused), 11.Anderson (unused), 15.Kerr, 23.Warde (unused), 26.Murphy (unused), 29.Rutkowski (unused)


Written by Alex Morrison.