Portadown lost 3-1 to Glentoran this afternoon in the Danske Bank Premiership at the Oval.

Glentoran made 3 changes with Ross Glendinning, Shay McCartan and Robbie McDaid replacing Aaron McCarey, Hrvoje Plum and Rory Donnelly from their 3-0 win over Dungannon Swifts.

Portadown made 4 changes from Tuesday nights 2-0 defeat to Crusaders with Jethren Barr, Paul Finnegan, Nathan Kerr and Eoin Teggart replacing Harry Doherty, Greg Hall, Barney McKeown and Adam Salley in the starting line up.

On 6 minutes, Portadown would go in front courtesy of a sublime strike from Michael Ruddy from range into the top right corner.

On 13 minutes, Glentoran went close themselves when a Reece Marshall ball just evaded striker Jay Donnelly at the back post.

On 31 minutes, Shay McCartan had a shot saved from long range by Jethren Barr.

On 37 minutes, Caolan Marron had a shot from around 35 yards fail to hit the target.

On 42 minutes, Glentoran would get themselves on level terms when Jay Donnelly capitalised on a Reece Jordan slip and broke through from the right side with the striker having his attempted chip saved by Jethren Barr however he dispatched the follow up effort to make it 1-1.


Half time score:

Glentoran 1 (J Donnelly 42’)

Portadown 1 (Ruddy 8’)


On 56 minutes, Conor McMenamin failed to hit the target from around 25 yards with a shot from his weak foot.

On 59 minutes, Portadown had a huge opportunity to retake the lead when a low ball from Lee Bonis found the feet of Adam Salley in a great position, with his shot being deflected just wide by a crucial tackle from Caolan Marron.

On 60 minutes, Seanan Clucas had a shot from the right side of the box fizzle wide of the post.

On 61 minutes, a deep ball from Joe Crowe found the head of Jay Donnelly on the left side, with Jethren Barr collecting with relative ease.

On 62 minutes, Donnelly would get himself his second goal of the afternoon when the striker picked the pocket of Ports defender Paul Finnegan after a long ball from Joe Crowe to finish from a tight angle and make it 2-1 to the home side.

On 69 minutes, Robbie McDaid would have a goal ruled out for offside when he connected with a long range free kick to head into the net.

On 76 minutes, Portadown went really close again, when a ball over the top of the Glentoran defence found the feet of Oisin Conaty in the box whose effort was saved by Ross Glendinning.

On 79 minutes, Shay McCartan had a shot from range tipped onto the post by Jethren Barr.

On 82 minutes, it would be 3-1. Conor McMenamin would dispossess Paul Finnegan who had won the ball off Robbie McDaid in the box.

On 88 minutes, Glens substitute Mal Smith had a feeble shot saved by Jethren Barr.


Full time score:

Glentoran 3 (J Donnelly 42’,62’, McMenamin 82’)

Portadown 1 (Ruddy 6’)


Match Officials

Referee – Ian McNabb

Assistant 1 – Paul Robinson

Assistant 2 – Stephen Donaldson

4th official – Ben McMaster


Glentoran starting XI (managed by Mick McDermott): 33.Glendinning, 6.Burns, 7.McCartan (replaced by R Donnelly 83’), 8.Marshall , 9.J Donnelly (scorer 42’,62’) (replaced by Wightman 88’), 11.McDaid (replaced by Smith 83’), 15.McClean (C) (booked 19’), 16.Clucas, 21.Crowe, 22.Marron, 24.McMenamin (scorer 82’), (replaced by Cushnie 88’)

Glentoran substitutes: 2.Garrett (unused), 10.R Donnelly, 12.Mitchell (unused), 20.Smith, 55.Beck (unused), Cushnie, Wightman,


Portadown XI (managed by Matthew Tipton): 19.Barr (GK), 3.Ruddy (scorer 6’) (booked 33’),4.McCallum (replaced by Teggart 41’), 5.Finnegan, 10.Bonis (C), 14.Conaty (replaced by Lavery 76’), 15.Kerr (replaced by McKeown 76’), 22.McLeod, 23.Warde, 25.Jordan, 36.E.Teggart (replaced by Salley 46’)

Substitutes: 1.Doherty (GK) (unused), 6.McKeown, 7.Lavery, 8.Tipton (unused), 9.Salley, 11.Anderson (unused), 20.S.Teggart


Written by Alex Morrison.