Portadown are back in Danske Bank Premiership action tomorrow (Sat 1 April) when we take on Glentoran at the Oval, kick off 3pm.
Glentoran come into the game off the back of a 4-0 victory over Carrick Rangers on Saturday 18 March at the Loughview Leisure Arena thanks to goals from Niall McGinn (2), Luke McCullough and Terry Devlin, Portadown on the other hand drew 2-2 with Crusaders at Shamrock Park thanks to goals from Paul McElroy and Alan O’Sullivan.
The last time the two clubs met was back in February in the Irish Cup with Glentoran running out 3-0 winners at Shamrock Park with goals from Jay Donnelly (2) and Niall McGinn. In league matters the two sides previously came up against each other in November 2022 at Shamrock Park with Glentoran winning 2-0 thanks to goals from Sean Murray & Bobby Burns while on Portadown’s last visit to the Oval, which was in December 2021, Glentoran ran out 3-1 winners with goals from Jay Donnelly (2) and Conor McMenamin after Michael Ruddy had given Portadown an early lead.
Portadown have only 2 wins in their last 25 games against Glentoran, both coming at Shamrock Park – you have to go back to December 2015 for the Ports last home win over the Glens, a goal laden 5-3 win with goals from Gary Twigg x2, Darren Murray x2 and Robert Garrett while Glentoran replied through Marcus Kane and Curtis Allen x2. For Portadown’s last victory at the Oval against Glentoran you have to go back almost a decade and to December 2013 when goals from Gary Twigg and Darren Murray seen the Ports run out 2-0 winners. Glentoran have won 8 of the last 10 meetings between the two clubs at the Oval.
Glentoran’s only doubt tomorrow is defender Aidan Wilson while Chris Rodgers misses out for Portadown due to suspension.
Portadown manager Niall Currie had the following preview ahead of tomorrows game
We’ll be without Chris Rodgers tomorrow who is suspended so we’ll have to change things around a wee bit but bar Chris everyone else is fit and available.
We’ve nothing to lose tomorrow but we want to make it as difficult as we can for them and make sure we’re at our very very best. As long as we get a performance and our levels are where they’ve been at then we feel we can come away with something which will be unbelievable and give everybody a real lift going into the split.
Ultimately we’ll go to the Oval tomorrow and give it everything we have.
The officials are – Referee – Keith Kennedy / Assistant 1 – David Burns / Assistant 2 – Rachel Greer / 4th official – Michael McKenna
Admission to the game is strictly by ticket only with Glentoran advising that no cash gate will be available – Tickets are available to purchase via https://www.glentoran.com/match-tickets-away-fans
Supporters Club Buses travelling:
- Eden Reds – Departing Gary’s Bar at 2pm with non members welcome
- PFC Travel Club – Departing Shamrock Park at 1:30pm & J.D Tiplers at 1:40pm
- Richhill Reds – Departing Richhill at 1:30pm and the Property Spot in Portadown at 1:45pm
- Shamrock Reds leave Shamrock Park at 1:45pm with non members welcome
Form (LAST FIVE PREMIERSHIP GAMES – MOST RECENT GAME LAST)
- Glentoran – D, W, L, W, W (5th in DBP)
- Portadown – W, W, L, W, D (12th in DBP)
Last Five Head to Head (All competitions)
- Saturday 4 February 2023 – Portadown 0 Glentoran 3 (J.Donnelly (2), McGinn)
- Saturday 26 November 2022 – Portadown 0 Glentoran 2 (Murray, Burns)
- Friday 26 August 2022 – Portadown 0 Glentoran 3 (Singleton, McMenamin, Plum)
- Tuesday 8 February 2022 – Portadown 1 (Conaty) Glentoran 1 (McMenamin)
- Saturday 4 December 2021 – Glentoran 3 (J Donnelly x2, McMenamin) Portadown 1 (Ruddy)
Last Five Head to Head at the Oval (All competitions)
- Saturday 4 December 2021 – Glentoran 3 (J.Donnelly (2), McMenamin) Portadown 1 (Ruddy)
- Saturday 23 October 2021 – Glentoran 2 (McMenamin, J.Donnelly (P)) Portadown 2 (Ruddy, Bonis)
- Saturday 3 April 2021 – Glentoran 4 (R.Donnelly x2, McDaid, Mitchell) Portadown 0
- Saturday 2 January 2021 – Glentoran 2 (McClean, Donnelly) Portadown 1 (Salley)
- Saturday 4 January 2020 – Glentoran 2 (Plum (pen), Frazer) Portadown 2 (Bonis, McKenna)