Portadown defeated Dergview 4-1 in the Playr-Fit Championship at Shamrock Park on Saturday afternoon to move to within a point of league leaders Dundela.

After Tuesday nights league cup win over Crusaders, the Ports would make 2 changes with Ross Redman and Gary Thompson coming in for Aaron Traynor and Dale Montgomery respectively. Defender Dougie Wilson would also be notably named on the bench after a long injury lay off.

Dergview would go into Saturday with 7 points from their last 5 games, which included wins over Newington and Bangor, and weren’t in action on Tuesday on account of their previous round elimination to Glenavon.

On 9 minutes Ports striker Eamon Fyfe would have the first chance for the Ports, sending an effort over the bar from range.

On 11 minutes, Dergview forward Niall McGinley would have a low free kick from range gathered by Aaron Hogg in the Ports goal.

Portadown would take the lead on 12 minutes when a pinpoint delivery from a Ross Redman free kick found the head of Eamon Fyfe to make it 1-0.

On 24 minutes the Ports would double their lead when a low shot from Eoin Bradley was spilled by Dergview keeper Shane O’Gara into the net to make it 2-0.

Almost a minute later it would be 3-0. Ryan Mayse would pounce on a defensive error to link up with Kenny Kane who would round the keeper to score.

On 33 minutes Ryan Mayse would head wide from a Ross Redman delivery.

On the brink of half time Mayse would have a curling effort from the edge of the box gathered by the keeper O’Gara.


Half time: Portadown 3-0 Dergview


Into the second half Kenny Kane would have an effort from the left side fly just over the bar on 52 minutes.

Four minutes later the away side would have a goal back when a Gareth Harkin cross found substitute Sean McDonagh who drilled home a low shot into the net.

On 60 minutes, Ports midfielder Dale Montgomery would have a low shot from range gathered by O’Gara in the Dergview goal.

On 66 minutes, Eamon Fyfe would head wide from a Ryan Mayse cross as the Ports sought to increase their lead.

On 80 minutes, a crisp Eamon Fyfe pass would find Ryan Mayse, who with space to run into would send a shot straight at Shane O’Gara.

On 83 minutes, it would be 4-1, a cross from substitute Mark Russell would find the head of Luke Wilson at the far post for his first league goal of the season.

On 85 minutes Ryan Mayse would have a low drilled effort sail just wide of the post.


Full time: Portadown 4-1 Dergview


Next up for the Ports is an away trip to face Bangor next Saturday at Clandeboye Park. Bus times to follow on social media.


PSS Man of the Match: Ross Redman (Sponsored by C&K Professional Organisers.)


Officials | Neil Robinson (Referee), Shane Corrigan & Aaron Graham


Match Sponsor – David Jameson Roofing Services

Match Ball Sponsor – Royal British Legion Club | Betty’s Ice Cream


Portadown: 18. Hogg, 3. Redman (Replaced by Traynor 78’), 5.Rodgers, 6. L.Wilson (Scorer 83’), 7. Chapman (Replaced by Coyle 72’), 8. McCawl (Replaced by Montgomery 53’), 10. Mayse (Booked 87’), 12. Kane (Scorer 26’ & Replaced by Cochrane 78’), 13. Fyfe (Scorer 14’), 23. Bradley (Scorer 25’ & replaced by Russell 53’), 26. Thompson (C).

Portadown Substitutes: Buchanan (GK), Coyle, D.Wilson, Russell, Montgomery, Traynor, Cochrane.


Dergview (Managed by Emmet Friars): 13.O’Gara (GK), 3.Falconer, 4.Corrigan, 6.Burns (Booked 54’), 8.Fielding (Booked 87’), 10.McGinley, 15.Browne, 18. Harkin, 21.McMonagle, 22.McCloskey, 23. Lynch

Dergview Substitutes: Groogan (GK), King, McLaughlin, Sproule, Black, Maxwell, McDonagh (Scorer 56’).


By Alex Morrison.